When a mistake has been made, you may need to reserve an incorrect invoice or payment on a member’s account.
This knowledge base article will take you through 3 relevant scenarios:
Scenario 1: Reversing an Invoice, that has the full amount outstanding
1. Select the invoice you want to Reverse.
2. Check the Outstanding field to make sure the Invoice is not allocated to anything else.
3. Right-click the Invoice and select ‘Reverse Invoice’
4. After you Reverse the Invoice, change the date. Usually, you want this on the same date as the invoice, but this defaults to the current date. Consider what date you would like to show this reversal in your GL and if that period is open.
5. Click Yes after you have selected a date.
6. This will apply a Credit Note to the Account
7. Right click on the Credit Note line and select Modify Credit Note
8. Input information into the Description field detailing the Reversed Invoice reference.
9. Lastly, input information into the comment detailing the reason for the reversal.
Scenario 2: How to find the related Payment/Credit Allocation to make an Invoice outstanding
The first step to reverse a payment (with no amount outstanding) is to remove the allocation
1. Navigate to the invoice you want to Reverse and locate the Credit Allocation Transaction on their account
2. Make sure the Credit Allocation is correct by cross-checking the Allocation detail with the invoice reference numbers of the Invoice and/or Payment
3. Highlighted below is a credit allocation transaction
4. Double click the credit allocation detail (as per below). Here you can see a locker billable item that had been paid.
5. Select the allocation and click on Payment>Reverse Payment
6. The reversed Invoice will now show the total invoice in the outstanding column.
Scenario 3: How to Reverse a Payment
1. Make sure the Payment is not allocated to anything by checking the Outstanding Field
2. Select the Payment you want to reverse by right-clicking on the Payment and select Reverse Payment
3. After you Reverse the Invoice, change the date. Usually, you want this on the same date as the invoice, but this defaults to the current date.
4. Click Yes when you have selected a date.
5. This will apply a credit note to the Payment.